A survey carried out by Kings College London reveals more than half the UK population has had problems with sleep during lockdown.
Considering the financial stress most people have experienced - 7 out of 10 businesses have furloughed staff according to the British Chamber of Commerce - it’s no wonder this vast majority of the population will be experiencing difficulty sleeping, frequent wake-ups and disturbed nights.
Disturbed sleep as a result of stress, can in itself increase stress levels. This can have a knock-on effect on energy levels, mental health overall resilience and immune health.
There are many natural sleep aids which can help at this time.
- Eliminate screens in the evening especially avoid the news. When we think about what we are consuming to keep us healthy, we must also consider our consumption of news and articles which create anxiety, fear and stress, particularly at a time when there are so many unknowns.
- Eating complex carbs at the evening meal - focus on a protein-rich lunch rather than dinner as carb-rich foods contain more compounds which support healthy sleep.
- Dim the lights to activate melatonin, the sleep and relaxing hormone.
- A warm bath with epsom salts to relax. Magnesium is depleted in times of stress and this wonderful mineral is crucial for supporting healthy sleep and de-stressing.
- Hot teas and lattes with herbs such as valerian, lavender, chamomile and passionflower.
- Controlled breathing and meditation practice.
Keeping to an evening that works for you is also very important as this will naturally regulate your sleep cycle and adjust the serotonin (awake hormone) / melatonin (sleep hormone) balance.
If you have any tips that help you with sleep during lockdown I would love to hear from you x